Friday, March 26, 2010

An afternoon with Olive's cubs

I went out this morning to look for Olive’s cubs after I was called by another guide over the radio that they have been seen. However when I go there, they had disappeared into the bushes. Olive was also seen about half a kilometre away. After looking around for a whole one hour I went back to camp.


There was a brief storm over lunch, but did not last long. I set out at 4pm again to look for the cubs. I have been trying to have a good observation on the cubs to be able to identify them positively.

I finally got up with them just as they emerged form the bushes at around 5pm. They were very relaxed and gave me an amble time to have a god look at them for a whole 2 hours. I managed to get a few shots (not great ones) for identifying them. I can now confidently say that I can identify the cubs.

After this, I thought I should contact my colleague Jackson Looseyia, who has been following these cubs all along as well, so that we name them, now that I can tell the two. One of the cubs is bold enough and quite relaxed. This one I named Nkaiyoni (Maasai for boy) and the other cub, which is a bit shy I called him Paja (Swahili for twin),

We both agreed with Jackson that these will remain their names now that we can identify them. and Hurray…… that’s their names

Paja: Full face and left side

Nkaiyoni: Full face and left side

Nkaiyoni: Right side, note 3 spots over hte wiskers line

Paja: Right side, note onnly two spots over hte wiskers

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul; Great to know her cubs are well. Aatish said he had spoken to you about getting their pictures to post great job and thank you.

Paul Kirui said...

Hi Donnie; I was really excited to have had such a time with the cubs; Aatish know how much time we spent last year trying to look for them, since hten i have seen them but not in a good view as i had today. Am happy they are growing well and even now in safe age

Anonymous said...

Paul; very good to hear. And I was a little worried about them. But Olive must be a great mom she keeps them hid pretty well. And thanks for the updates. Your friend Aatish and his twin brother Aashit seem like a very good bunch also. I have to ask Paul any word on Shakira's girl who went on her own. There has been some bad news from the Mara with Red etc. I am hoping she is doing fine also. Thanks for the post on Olive and her cubs. And it is nice to know they even have names now. Good job with getting their pictures posted.

Adnan said...

great to see the cubs paul...your patience finally paid off!

Olivier Delaere said...

Well done Paul and thank you for the identification tips

littlewid said...

Paul, thanks for the update and the lovely pictures, they are great names and its so good to know they are safe and well, they look really fine don't they. Look forward to following these two along with their wonderful mum Olive.
littlewid-x-

CASSIO LOPES and ALESSANDRA SANTOS said...

Well done, Paul. The pictures are so beautiful. Apart from the spots above the whiskers that you use to identify them, we were observing the spot patterns betwen the eyes and the main patterns below the eyes and the "necklace", and we think the 2 of them have almost the same patterns - they could even say they are really twins...

Thank you for this update.
Cassio & Alessandra.

Travel Kenya Guide said...

Its good paul that you have given one Maasai name, at least being named after their ancestor, they look good too.

Paul Kirui said...

Yes; i thought one of them at least should have Maasai name. We also had one call Ntito (That was Chui's sister)

Mefi said...

Great reading about Mara through your eyes Paul.
Mefi

Paul Kirui said...

Mefi, i think it is time you plan another trip here.

BibiFan#1 said...

Paul,
I would really love to come to the Mara..... When I am out of college I want to study lions so..... There is a great reason to go to the Mara!!!!!
-BibiFan#1

BibiFan#1 said...

Hey peeps there is a great blog called, My boring, lame life!!!! It is just a tiny bit about her life but totally about BCD!!!! All you do is chat about BCD on the comments!!!!!

Mara Fan said...

jambo paul, your blog is wonderful and I following with joy and pleasure. your pics fantastic and you a real gold guide with all your knowledge
thanks for sharing all your posts and I wish you success with all your adventures.
god bless you !

Popular Posts